First of all, here we know about the default printer. It is the printers to print jobs that are sent to unless otherwise specified. Having a default printer stop a program asking from the user which printer the user wishes to use to print each time. To set a default printer in Windows 10 it is easier and quicker to print documents. A printer is a device that accepts text from a computer and transfers the information to paper. The printer has so many varieties in size color, shape, speed, etc. the costly printer gives high-resolution color printing. Some steps are illustrated below to set a default printer in settings:
- Click on the window icon which appears at the bottom left of your screen or you can simply press the window key on your keyboard and search printers on the search bar.
- When you search you will get Printers and Scanners on your search result, select on it.
- After that uncheck allow the window to manage my default printer at the bottom of the screen by clicking the checkbox.
- You will get the list of printer and scanners choose the device which you want to make your default from the list click on it, and then click Manage.
- The new screen will open, on that screen you will get set as default, select on it. This should be your default printer.
How to set a default printer on Windows 10?
If the default printer keeps changing on your device, that can be a short but annoying issue. If you do not know how to set a default printer keeps changing on Window 10 then no need to wary about because step by step solutions are given below you should adopt and get the solutions:
Solution: 1 Turn off the option let windows manage your default printer.
By default Windows 10 automatically manages your default printer. If your default printer keeps changing, the user may wish to stop Windows from managing their default printer. User should follow the steps if they want to do that:
- First, you should go to the setting and select the device icon.
- Then click on the Printer and scanners which are shown on the left side, after that you will get two option on that you should enable the option to let Windows manage my default printer.
Solution: 2 Change the printer settings from the registry editor
The problem will be related to your registry when your default printer keeps changing. Users can solve the problem easily by making a little change in the registry editor. You should follow the steps if they wish to do that:
- First, you should press the window key + R to Run and type Regedit.
- Then go to the computer/ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ SOFTWARE\Microsoft Window NT\ Current Version\Windows.
- After that select the Legacy default printer mode and then select the value 1.
Solution: 3 uninstall the printer software for all printers.
If the above two solutions are not beneficial for you then don’t get fret just uninstall the printer’s old version and install the new driver version again. If you do not know how to uninstall the printer’s driver then read the below steps and get to know:
- To open x + menu for open window + x. then select Devise Manager to open from the results list.
- Your printer driver will be located, click right on it, and choose to uninstall the device from the menu. If the users fail to find your printer then make sure that you reveal hidden devices.
- When the confirmation dialogs are shown then choose to delete the driver software for this device, then click on Uninstall.
- After doing that, shut down your device and then restart it.
Solution: 4 Remove old printer connections from your registry.
If the user uses two or more printers with the same device then it may be few previous entries are in their registry. The previous or old entries may create a problem if your default printer keeps modifying. After that, when you remove old entries from your registry then you can solve the problem. By following the below steps you will able to solve your issues:
- First, you should start the Registry editor.
- Then go to the H_KEY USER\USERS_SID_HERE\Printers\Connections key which is appearing in the left pane. You should make sure that to select your own user SID.
- After that, you can see the old connection of printer you should delete them all.
- Then you visit the HKEY_USERS\USERS-SID_HERE\Printers\Settings key and from there you delete the old printer settings.
- When you remove that, you should make sure and check the problem with your default the printer is resolved or not.
Solution: 5 Set the default printer manually
Sometimes the user feels that the problem is coming even after everything is correct, but if they fail to find the problem, then in that situation the user should check manually everything once. Because even everything is technically correct, the printer does not work due to a short reason. User needs to follow the below steps if they want to set the default printer manually:
- First, you press window key + S and search Control panel. Select it from the list.
- Then go to Devices and Printers.
- After that select the printer you want to use as default, click the right button of the mouse, and select set as default printer from the menu. 4. That’s all are easy processes to set a default printer keeps changing on Windows 10.